Saturday, November 19, 2011

Kids in my rural Kenyan town


Kids here are of course like kids anywhere…they play, they smile, they cry, they whine, etc…. But, their daily activities are much like the way it was for kids in rural America during the first part of the 20th century.  [Of course, for kids living in Nairobi or one of the other large cities, life is infinitely more 21st century] People like my mom, for instance, grew up on a farm, worked in the fields, walked to school and all around the area near her family home, read by lantern light, etc…  Same is true here now in the rural area…you often see a single or groups of very young kids walking by themselves or even a girl about the age of 7 who is carrying a baby in a sling on her back (the baby almost seems too big for her to carry).  Many young boys will be seen tending to herds of goats or cows (this usually means they are not attending school).  And, teenagers main mode of transportation is bicycle.  Of course, small kids are mostly adorable!  Some still call out “mazungu” (white foreigner) when they see me but others that now know me call out “tee-cha” or “mwalimu”.  Of course I wave and they wave back with big smiles as if I was the funniest thing they have ever seen.  A group of girls (about 8-10 years old) know my name and I can hear them at times from way across the field yelling “Rebecca” in unison as they frantically wave.  THAT IS VERY COOL!  Others (some who are very young) still are a bit afraid to approach me so the cling to the leg of their mother or wave (tentatively) from a distance.  All in all, just like kids everywhere, they are curious and sometimes seem to have unlimited energy as they run around and play.  Praying the world that awaits them will be worthwhile!